Better late than never, right?
One of the key speakers and lectures for me at the JCI Estonia Annual Convention (www.jci.ee/astra) was by Robin Gurney (Altex) with the topic “
is Social Media?”.
He presented us a slideshow by Jacquelin Cyr (if I am correct) and the slides themselves you can see next. I, of course, had to have my own slideshare slide space 😛 See here: http://www.slideshare.net/liisitoom. Only some personal branding slides in Estonians for now.So the slides are here:
What I learned and noted:
* I will repeat that again and again: EVERYTHING YOUE EVER PUT THERE IS THERE FOR LIFE.
* We create value through engaging with our colleagues through social media communication.
* E-mail marketing in US is bulls***, in Baltics it is brilliant.
* 66% of the world uses Social Media. It’s an unstoppable train.It is like amplification of the real communication. I find someting i like and SHARE it with other 1 billion people. One even shares things (s)he really doesn’t want to but can’t do without.
* Social Media is NOT about pushing marketing messages to people’s brains. It is not just an advertising channel.
Important when going to Social Media:
1. Have a strategy – without it its dangerous. What u want, what are goals?
2. How to create communication: SM is not the answer to everything, if u have crappy product, its gonna amplify the noise around it. All SM is like a big fat amplifier – you have nowhere to hide.
I liked that Robin stressed that a dissatisfied customer is good ‘cos you learn from it and can improve.
Basic rules of Social Media:
Rule 1: Listen. google alerts, tweedeck; socialmentions, Rss, for starters.
Rule 2: Engage – use your expertize to add value
Rule 3: Measure – the time spent, audience, engagement, influence, actions.
So now all off to make plans! You do not need a marketing company for that!